Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I miss the good ol days...

I really miss the good ol' days. Back when I didn't have to worry about bills, my career, supporting a child (my beautiful 2 year old daughter, Amani), a love life, etc. I miss the times when the biggest repercussion of not fulfilling my responsibilities was getting my Playstation taken away! Those times when staying up late on the phone with friends was the ultimate feeling of freedom. Now, freedom comes at the opportunity cost of money to be made. SMH...

Even though I love being a Dad, I miss those times when all I had to think about was myself. When I could drop everything and take a cross country road trip. Playing basketball for hours every week is definitely something that my waistline misses. Knowing that there is another life that depends on me makes me reconsider how I spend my time, so much to the point that I struggle with guilt when I try to have fun.

I feel that having my daughter was ultimately a blessing. Before I had her, I honestly thought that I was immortal. I had so much unprotected sex to the point that I thought I carried a gene that made me immume to STDs and pregnancy(seriously!). When I got the call that Amani's mom was pregnant, I was shocked on so many levels. The biggest was that I realized that I was actually mortal. That I possessed the ability inside me to create life. That I wasn't some God from another planet that was exempt to the rules of common man. If I never had a daughter, I honestly could've ended up with some terrible disease (or worse) due to my immaturity. But, I digress...

The best solution would be to take some time to bring back the essence of what I enjoyed when I was younger. I think I will start by bring out that old Playstation that I used to get punished for using...

No comments:

Post a Comment